Saturday 21 September 2013

Jumping ship: Adelaide to Melbourne



On the way to Adelaide I managed to succumb to the worst eye infection I have ever had in my life. It was a killer and left me lying in my darkened cabin for days on end until the pain started to subside. Due to this, and a hospital appointment in Adelaide I had to leave the ship for a week and JST managed to find a replacement 2nd engineer at the last moment. Annoyingly I had started to feel a lot better but I still had to take the week off to wean myself off codeine and have my follow- up hospital appointment. 

I was extremely lucky to be taken in by the family of one of the voyage crew who couldn’t have been more wonderful to me. The big bonus was that I was able to go to the local Cathedral with them and walk their beautiful dog “Archie”. Archie and I had one very eventful walk when we met another dog and his pet human walking the other way on a path through a field. The human stopped and held the dog in the middle of the path as it started growling at Archie. In order to pass the dog Archie and I had to walk up on the verge. In trying to do this and hold Archie away from the growling dog I managed to trip over my own feet and then had to stand for a few seconds on the verge to regain my balance. It was literally only a few seconds but suddenly I felt like my legs were on fire and I looked down to see an army of giant fire ants (the big ones with the red heads) crawling all over my feet and legs up to my knees!!! I started doing the “dance of the seven army surplus blankets” trying to get away from the nest and the dog and get some of the ants off at the same time. I through myself on the ground and to allow myself to swipe at the ants and the human started trying to make conversation with me….Stupid human. Archie, however, was staring at me as if to say “Seriously? ….I don’t know you and I’m not with you.”

Animals I met at Adelaide Wildlife Park
I also managed to do a bit of touristy stuff…..I cuddled a Koala and fed kangaroos in the nearby wildlife park and enjoyed the local museum. I then caught a cheap flight to Melbourne to stay in the youth hostel and await the arrival of the SV Lord Nelson.  

Melbourne Aquarium

Melbourne is a beautiful city full of character. The set-up for tourists is really good and there are lots to see and do including a really great aquarium (…well, with my background in shark research and love of all things “shark”…I couldn’t miss the opportunity to see them now could I?!) I had a lovely evening run along the Torren river although my two weeks off and general lack of running due to ship voyages has slowed me down (again)...I’m going to die in the Sahara . (www.justgiving.co.uk/Tam-at-sea).

Melbourne Aquarium
It was great to re-join the ship, which has become my extended family and get stuck back into the engineering jobs for a couple of days of maintenance. We did a day sail across the bay for some employees from a local company who had donated a lot of money to JST over the years along with other locals. Day sails are very different from full voyages and start early for the permanent crew as we have to have breakfast and prepare the ship before the voyage crew arrive. I ended up spending most of the morning up on the bridge controlling the engines and teaching voyage crew how to steer the ship! After a morning of rain and cold, the day brightened up and we ended up having a great sail, saluting the local ship SV Young Endeavour on the way round the bay. 

Lord Nelson at Williamstown (near Melbourne)

No comments:

Post a Comment