Sunday 10 November 2013

Because some leaves don’t grow on trees: A trilogy in four parts (2)

On leave” 8th October – 10th December

INSTALLMENT 2: U.K. 18th October -9th November

Whenever I'm in the UK I seem to be in a constant whirl wind of activity and this leave was no exception. 

I flew into Heathrow on the evening of 18th October and was up early on the 19th for the Marathon des Sables (MDS) exp in London where I learnt more about kit requirements for the MDS and spoke with other competitors.....It was useful, but terrifying seeing a room full of very fit looking guys! I watched a talk given by Felicity Aston who spoke about her expedition walking solo across Antarctica and discussed the importance of mental resilience in endurance events such as the MDS. She was so inspirational and I ran to the Chiswick Lifeboat station for a night shift on the river Thames ready to take on the world. Of course, doing the night shift worked really well with my jet lag but, as it happens, we had a very quiet night. 

The next few days allowed for a little bit of personal admin and logistics as I moved into a room in London and did another lifeboat night shift before travelling up to Edinburgh for a Ship mate's wedding. Whilst I was there I saw a recommended podiatrist to try and second guess what feet problems I might have in the Sahara desert....basically, everything is probably going to go wrong....Hmmm.... 
 
I visited the Royal Yacht Britannia (to take my mind off my new worry of foot preparation) and I nearly passed out when I saw how shiny the engine room was kept!!! I don't know how they did it, but it certainly raises the bar for my bilge cleaning efforts on the Lord Nelson, although I can't see me cracking out the tooth brush and brasso as we cross the infamous Southern Horn of South America!?

On returning to London I planned to finish October with a few days of meeting friends, doing logistics and administration and running, but the local yobs didn't have the same idea. I woke up one morning to find the rear tyre of my motorbike had been slashed so I had to spend one day disassembling my bike, getting the inner tyre replaced and then re-assembling it! This would have been a lot quicker if I'd had my tool box instead of just having a wrench that I bought at the local hardware store! The bike saga didn't stop there as the next morning I woke up to find my brake cable had been cut so I had to spend another day getting parts and sitting in a side street, in the rain, covered in oil, in a smurf suit (see pic).

Of course, I never need to work on my bike when I'm close to my tool box and coveralls- Surf suit and cheap wrench it is then!
I managed to get 5 (12 hour) lifeboat shifts into the first week of November, which I thought was pretty good going and this included one day shift where we had 3 jobs and took the total number of jobs this year to 200!
 
Lifeboat shout to a submerged car on Putney hard which we tied up to prevent it from floating down the river Thames where it would become a hazard to other river users....Poor Mercedes!
 After watching Rory Coleman give an inspirational talk on running, I took the trip to Cardiff to do some training with him. Rory helped me to see my strengths and weaknesses and develop a training plan that I can do on board the SV Lord Nelson.I know that I'm no where near the level of fitness that I want to be for the MDS and being at sea for 3 ½ months before the race is going to make it very difficult for me to bring my “A game” to the Sahara....But I'm going to do my best and hit the desert with all the effort I have!
  
A good old National Express Coach was my steed to a B&B near Stansted Airport where I stayed in readiness for an early morning flight into Prague to begin the European stage of my leave....*watch this space*



No comments:

Post a Comment